News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

Recent posts

AEM class related files / HW-9 Biaxially Loaded Cracked ...
Last post by Mark Barkey - March 26, 2017, 01:36:54 AM
HW-9 Biaxially Loaded Cracked Plate, Analytical and ABAQUS solution

http://forums.mbarkey.com/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;down=20
AEM class related files / AEM 535 HW-8 Drawing of Bi-Met...
Last post by Mark Barkey - March 04, 2017, 07:59:00 PM
AEM class related files / AEM 535 HW-6 part 1 Thermal An...
Last post by Mark Barkey - March 04, 2017, 02:54:46 PM
AEM 535 HW-6 part 1 Thermal Analysis--Material Library

http://forums.mbarkey.com/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;down=18
Welcome Center / Re: Welcome to the forums
Last post by Mark Barkey - March 04, 2017, 02:49:31 PM
Hi mhajinaw,

Great idea!  I have never felt that the basic kinematic hardening model in ABAQUS was very well implemented.  Non-linear Kinematic hardening (NLK) is a much more flexible model, but requires a lot more data to "calibrate" the model.  I have not personally used combined kinematic/isotropic hardening in ABAQUS but I imagine it has some of the same issues.

I will see if I can find some data that would be useful with that model.  If not, I would have to estimate some of the parameters for a fictitious material.  The other issue is finding some time, but maybe over my spring break...

(Also, next semester, I will get to teach a course in Plasticity Theory, so if not this semester, I will make an effort to get more videos on hardening models/FEA implementations in the Fall).

Welcome Center / Re: Welcome to the forums
Last post by mhajinaw - March 02, 2017, 12:46:09 PM
G'day Mark,

I am student of mechanical engineering and I am an avid user of Abaqus. It is nice to see that we share a common interest on the topic of Abaqus CAE. I've found your videos on Youtube to be very useful with good combination of practicalities in using ABAQUS and the knowledge of mechanics.

In one of your video, you've briefly mentioned about kinematic hardening. By any chance, do you have some information on how to obtain the parameters of the combined kinematic hardening (C, y) in ABAQUS. I've found a lot of videos on on isotropic hardening but almost none on combined kinematic hardening. Maybe it would be a good idea to have those posted in the future.

Cheers and keep posting!
AEM class related files / AEM 535 HW-7 Taylor Impact Tes...
Last post by Mark Barkey - February 25, 2017, 07:40:23 PM
AEM class related files / Re: AEM 535 HW-5 Natural Frequ...
Last post by Mark Barkey - February 22, 2017, 03:43:08 AM
from Matt F.

During your video I would mention that when editing the Python script which was generated by Abaqus CAE make sure to change ALL lines of code which might save the file to a particular location. While following along with your video I saved my file periodically, but when I changed the Python script to save the file to a new location I only edited the last save command at the very bottom of the file, and left the original file name in some of the previous save commands. This caused me to overwrite some data but it was easily fixed. In hindsight this should have been obvious to me, but perhaps it's worth mentioning in your video.
AEM class related files / Re: HW-3 Plate with a hole, op...
Last post by Mark Barkey - February 21, 2017, 09:05:16 PM
From Greg L.

Suggestions for an Updated Assignment:
Knowing that the general arrangement of the optimized mesh is accurate with respect to the convergence analysis solution, one possible update to the assignment could be to create one more mesh in Hypermesh but change the radius size of the hole. The same meshing style (number of elements biased towards the hole, transition zone, etc.) should be relatively quick to make. The boundary conditions would be the same and the new loading condition could be provided to ensure the normalized solution. The results of this new analysis could then be compared to the theoretical stress concentration chart provided in class. This effort could be used to show how known meshing solutions can be scaled up for similar applications.
AEM class related files / Re: HW-2 Plate with a hole
Last post by Mark Barkey - February 21, 2017, 09:03:01 PM

HW2: Use a rectangular plate with 2:1 aspect ratio to get Kt more near 2.5 instead of 2.6.  (Ben W.)
AEM class related files / Re: HW-1 Tension on Pipe input...
Last post by Mark Barkey - February 21, 2017, 09:02:40 PM
HW1:  pipe in tension: I need to be sure to use U3 instead of Umagnitude for the displacement of the pipe.