News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

Recent posts

Sir I am a beginner learner in Fracture mechanics. Whatever may be the answer at-least i will get the direction of answer from your comments. Please provide answers.
General Mechanics Discussion / Re: Fracture Mechanics Discuss...
Last post by Mark Barkey - March 20, 2019, 02:41:04 AM
Those are great questions, but ones that I cannot answer in a meaningful way.  Best wishes!
1- suppose I want to arrest the crack in mode-1 loading then crack surface is no more traction free. In this case j- integral will give path independent result or it depends on path or j concept is not applicable?
2- what will happen when the same scenario applied on mixed mode loading?
3- if from crack tip multiple cracks originates simultaneously then how j-integral concept will be applied there to find the energy release rate for individual cracks?
4- during mixed mode loading once the crack initiation starts it will move at a certain angle. Is this angle Will change during its fracture path or it remains constant?
Welcome Center / Re: Welcome to the forums
Last post by m.caocci2 - February 09, 2019, 11:42:34 AM
Hello
I study mechanical engineering in Italy, I'm using Abaqus for the
thesis.
Tank you for the great idea of the forum.
Thank u sir for your reply
but in question no 2 the path independent of j-integral in mixed mode loading, could you please mention where I can find the derivation in detail?
General Mechanics Discussion / Re: Fracture Mechanics Discuss...
Last post by Mark Barkey - January 28, 2019, 02:24:55 AM
Quote from: SOMANATH MOHANTY on January 25, 2019, 02:29:11 AM
Questions
1- what is the physical meaning of stress intensity factor value to be Zero or negative in a centre crack under compression loading or it is not possible to get -ve SIF?
2-in a mixed mode case is j-integral is Path independent?
3- EPFM is applicable to nonlinear material behaviour case but as   the process zone is nonlinear then how superposition principle is applicable to this EPFM plastic models like dugdale.. others?

For a center crack in compression, the crack faces should transmit tractions, so the stress fields (ideally) would be very similar to an uncracked plate in compression.  I do not know of a situation where a negative stress intensity would be physically meaningful or possible.

I believe that the J-integral should still be path independent for mixed mode loadings, but I have not done the math, or if I have it has been forgotten.  I think this should be derived in an advanced fracture mechanics book.

It has been a while since I have looked into the Dugdale model, but it may be the stress fields outside of the process zone for which supperpostition is applied.  I will have to let someone else answer that one!

Hi professor thanks a lot for your videos I learn something in plasticity hope you will provide some videos like how to implement UDF in abaqus and more videos on continuum mechanics.
Questions
1- what is the physical meaning of stress intensity factor value to be Zero or negative in a centre crack under compression loading or it is not possible to get -ve SIF?
2-in a mixed mode case is j-integral is Path independent?
3- EPFM is applicable to nonlinear material behaviour case but as   the process zone is nonlinear then how superposition principle is applicable to this EPFM plastic models like dugdale.. others?
Last post by Mark Barkey - January 18, 2019, 04:32:46 AM
Welcome.  Thanks for signing up.  It is a bit quiet here, but I promise to keep the site up for many many more years  :)
Last post by wasimrezaunsw - January 17, 2019, 07:32:32 AM
Hello
I am student of structural engineering and I started using Abaqus, it's been only 3 months. I saw you lectures on Youtube combination of theoretical mechanics and application in abaqus, a lot helpful for me to understand how FEM simulation works?
Kind Regards
Wasim