News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

Welcome to the forums

Started by Mark Barkey, December 28, 2014, 08:51:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Barkey

The purpose of this forum is a hobby website related to topics in the field of Mechanics, and in particular the use of the finite element program Simulia ABAQUS, Mechanics of Materials, and Fatigue Analysis.

My initial purpose of these forums is for me to document scripts/programs/analysis techniques so that I don't forget them.  Others are welcome to join and comment.

If you register, you will be able to view additional forums dealing with general ABAQUS CAE questions, ABAQUS scripting and Python programming, ODB file reading for ABAQUS and other topics as well as being able to download sample input files.

Please make a post about yourself in the welcome center, so that I know you are not a spam bot.  I suspect it will take a while to get people interested in this niche area, so please feel free to help me promote these forums.

My intention is to keep this forum advertisement-free, as I have found advertising clutter distracting when I have visited more established ABAQUS tip/help sites.

Here is my Youtube Channel (which is a work in progress):
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCS5Ojenfz6cBWV1CX5pEwIA

mhajinaw

G'day Mark,

I am student of mechanical engineering and I am an avid user of Abaqus. It is nice to see that we share a common interest on the topic of Abaqus CAE. I've found your videos on Youtube to be very useful with good combination of practicalities in using ABAQUS and the knowledge of mechanics.

In one of your video, you've briefly mentioned about kinematic hardening. By any chance, do you have some information on how to obtain the parameters of the combined kinematic hardening (C, y) in ABAQUS. I've found a lot of videos on on isotropic hardening but almost none on combined kinematic hardening. Maybe it would be a good idea to have those posted in the future.

Cheers and keep posting!

Mark Barkey

Hi mhajinaw,

Great idea!  I have never felt that the basic kinematic hardening model in ABAQUS was very well implemented.  Non-linear Kinematic hardening (NLK) is a much more flexible model, but requires a lot more data to "calibrate" the model.  I have not personally used combined kinematic/isotropic hardening in ABAQUS but I imagine it has some of the same issues.

I will see if I can find some data that would be useful with that model.  If not, I would have to estimate some of the parameters for a fictitious material.  The other issue is finding some time, but maybe over my spring break...

(Also, next semester, I will get to teach a course in Plasticity Theory, so if not this semester, I will make an effort to get more videos on hardening models/FEA implementations in the Fall).

wasimrezaunsw

Hello
I am student of structural engineering and I started using Abaqus, it's been only 3 months. I saw you lectures on Youtube combination of theoretical mechanics and application in abaqus, a lot helpful for me to understand how FEM simulation works?
Kind Regards
Wasim

Mark Barkey

Welcome.  Thanks for signing up.  It is a bit quiet here, but I promise to keep the site up for many many more years  :)

m.caocci2

Hello
I study mechanical engineering in Italy, I'm using Abaqus for the
thesis.
Tank you for the great idea of the forum.

dakshitha92

Hello Professor!

I found your youtube channel very useful.

I'm a PhD student at the University of Sydney. I'm using LS DYNA and am into developing user-defined material subroutines written in FORTRAN. These days I'm working on a hyperelastic model. I plan on doing a constitutive model for shear thickening fluids in the future.

Thank you for initiating this forum.

Dakshitha

Mark Barkey

Very nice--thanks for posting and happy studies  :)

sagdesai@yahoo.com

Hello Mark,

My name is Sagar. I work as Analytical Engineer. I also have interest in scripting.

I always like to understand the theoretical side of the software GUI.

Your youtubes lectures are awesome and really helped in my understandings. Thank you very much!!!!!!!!!  :)

Regards,
Sagar

Mark Barkey

Asish

Dear Professor,

My name is Kamanasish. Currently, I am pursuing my Ph.D. in the Dept. of Aerospace Engineering at the Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur, India. I am using Abaqus software for my research work.  My area of interest is metal fatigue and damage in composite structures. Your video lectures on Metal Fatigue and Plasticity are just fantastic. Thanks a lot for sharing your knowledge.

Regards,
kamanasish

Mark Barkey

LuckyLuke

Hi Mark

I finished my bachelor in mechanical engineering this summer and I work as a development engineer. Thank you for sharing your knowledge - as I am already quite old (34) I am using your videos to not forget and refreshing my knowledge. I love mechanics and your videos :-)

Happy Christmas to you, kind Regards from Switzerland,
Lukas

Mark Barkey

Thanks Lucas, happy holidays, merry Christmas !